Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Cotoneasters again

 I decided to have a go at identifying the cotoneasters along the school wall and  fence. I compared them to the one in my garden, which I am fairly confident is Wall Cotoneaster (Cotoneaster horizontalis).  There was a similar spreading one on the school wall, near the car entrance. I'll call it NPS1 (Newtonmore Primary School 1) as I don't have a name for it yet. There is also a more upright one which I'll call NPS2. Here are the three together:

Wall Cotoneaster and NPS1 and NPS2


Wall Cotoneaster and NPS1 look pretty similar. NPS1 has the same herringbone pattern as Wall Cotoneaster. 

Cotoneaster NPS1 on School wall 


 Is it the same species? Here are the leaves of both next to each other:
Wall Cotoneaster leaf and NPS1 leaf (on right)

As well as being different shapes, the Wall Cotoneaster has a little point at the tip and NPS1 doesn't.  The undersides are different as well; NPS1 is much hairier underneath.

So now I know they are different but I still don't have a name for the school one (apart from NPS1)! 

The berries are different  sizes as well:

Berries of Wall Cotoneaster, NPS1 and NPS2 (on 1mm graph paper)

NPS2 is more upright and the berries are oval rather than round. The leaves are bigger as well especially on the newer shoots.
NPS2


NPS2

And I don't know what this one is either!  Part of the problem is that you really need the flowers to help you work through the key, and at this time of year, there are no flowers.
Being somewhat impatient by nature, I thought I would see if I could get any hints from elsewhere.  As they have been planted as landscaping, I tried googling commercial planting of Cotoneasters. This took me to a fact sheet on Cotoneasters by the Landscape Institute.  This was interesting reading as it is about the problems that Cotoneasters cause in the wild where they spread rapidly and choke out native plants.  The berries are eaten by birds and then grow where they are dropped (in droppings!). The reason they are such popular landscaping plants is that they will grow in very poor soils.  Here is their table of the culprits:



Looking at the options, I wonder if my two mystery Cotoneasters could be C. integrifolius and C. simonsii.  Why not C. microphyllus?   Only because one of my books (Stace) said that most IDs of microphyllus were usually integrifolius! So now I will have to wait until next year to find out if I have guessed correctly.







No comments: