Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Star Jelly

 When walking the dog on the lower section of Newtonmore Golf Course, I saw a blob of translucent whitish jelly, which looked just like the water holding gel you put in hanging baskets, once it has absorbed water and swelled up.  I poked it with my foot and wondered how it got there and walked on.  A few days later, I saw a picture of something similar on the internet (here) which called it Star Jelly.  So I went back to take a photo, though the size of the clump was now smaller. The toe of my boot gives you some indication of the size.


There does not seem to be any agreement on what it actually is - explanations range from an algae that has absorbed water, the contents of a frog's oviduct that has been regurgitated by whatever ate it (frog spawn without the eggs), moon or star poo! The BBC conducted an investigation with no clear results:

Theories so far: Hans Sluiman, an algae expert at the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, told Out of Doors listeners he is convinced the gel itself is not a plant or animal.

Dr Andy Taylor studies fungi at the Macaulay Institute in Aberdeen. He says there are fungus filaments in the slime but agrees with Hans that they're growing in the gloop rather than creating it.

DNA tests: Andy's team at the Macaulay Institute ran DNA tests on a sample, but the results were inconclusive - the sample was contaminated.

from  https://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/outdoors/articles/jelly/

I think I tend towards the frog theory but who knows....

No comments: