Sunday, January 17, 2021

Anyone for jelly?

 I ventured further afield this week, outside the usual 5 mile advice,  as my husband had to go to the dentist in Aviemore, which gave me an opportunity to go for a walk and lichen hunt.  It was a lovely sunny day, though icy underfoot, and while walking by Milton Burn the sun shone through these strange translucent jellies on a dead sycamore.

Amber jelly fungus

With some help from more knowledgeable friends (thank you,  Audrey), it got a name: Amber Jelly Fungus (Exidia recisa). During dry spells, it shrivels up and is hard to see

 but during wet weather it swells up, and becomes these lovely see-through jewels which dangle from the branches of dead trees. There was a lot of it.







Apparently, it is edible, though I don't think I'd be that keen, and I would have to add the disclaimer that I don't advise anyone to try eating it on my recommendation! But it was a lovely find when there wasn't much else to look at.


No comments: