Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Upper storey plants

 There is not much of interest in the flowering plants yet apart from the spring bulbs, so I am still keeping myself occupied looking for lichens. On two occasions I have found plants setting up home in holes in the trees, several feet above the ground. Whether they will survive, I am not sure...

Today I found some Wood Sorrel half way up a birch tree on the side of Creag Dhubh.




Wood Sorrel

Wood Sorrel (Oxalis acetosella) normally grows on the ground under trees. Its leaves have a lemony taste and are three lobed, a bit like clover.  They are closed up in this photo. It has white flowers in the spring.

Another tree dweller I found was by Allt Laraidh.  This time it is a violet.



It is probably a common Dog Violet (Viola riviniana)





Although the weather has become a bit cooler today, I am hopeful that we will see some spring flowers soon.



No comments: