Sunday, August 21, 2022

A new butterfly

 Whilst doing some gardening on a sunny day recently, a butterfly alighted on one of my Shasta daisies and was different from any I had seen before. The silhouette was more like a leaf. And it had a tiny white mark like a comma. Which was a clue as it turned out to be a Comma butterfly, and is the only one with that jagged silhouette.


The wings were orange with brown spots.


I find it quite hard to take decent photos of butterflies with my phone as they fly away when you get close, so here is a picture from my (old -1987) Reader's Digest Butterfly book.


Interestingly, the distribution shown in my book is just in the South of England. Obviously things have changed in the last 30 years! It's scientific name is  Polygonia c-album.  I was going to say that I have no idea what the c- is for when it dawned on me that the c-album means white c shape.



No comments: