Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Life and Death or both?

There are usually flocks of Greylag geese on the fields between Newtonmore Railway station and the Spey, and I often see them flying overhead in a V-shaped skein. Its scientific name is Anser Anser.


 I have never seen them around Loch Imrich,  but there was a dead one there this week. Greylag geese have an orange bill. It was near the gate onto the main road so maybe it is a road casualty.

Greylag goose corpse


A more promising sight was some Winter Aconite blooming in the woodland round the Loch.  Just in the one place and I suspect it originates from a garden throwout.

 I had planted some in my garden so hurried back to check on it.  Not a sign! Not even leaves.  Though there are snowdrops.

Finally, a interesting fungus on a golf course fence (Second Tee), with my finger in the photo for scale.

It was a wet day so the fungus was a bright orange.  It is obviously alive but I think it is one of the  wood decay fungi that live on dead wood and will cause the fence to rot as it the fungus digests it.  The "feeding" part is not the bit you can see in the photo but thin threads that penetrate the wood.  The visible parts in the photo are the fruiting bodies which will shed spores.  It might be Gloeophyllum sepiarum which I thought I had found before (see this post), but  that time an expert who looked at the photos later thought it was more like Lintneria trachyspora. However, like lichens, it's not easy to ID species just from a photograph.  (And as you can see, there are plenty of lichens on the wood as well, but they won't cause it to rot.)

No comments: