Sunday, July 9, 2023

Candy Striped spiders?

It is hard to believe that it is a month since my last blog post.  I have the slight excuse of going on holiday for a week and a week of intensive gardening beforehand trying to catch up with jobs that needed doing before I went away.

When I got back from my holiday I went for a walk to see if the orchids were still around and managed to find plenty on Newtonmore Golf Course and even some round Loch Imrich. The ones round Loch Imrich were Common Spotted Orchids (the leaves are spotted as well) and is uncommon locally as it prefers non-acid soils.

Common Spotted Orchid (Dactylorhiza fuchsii) 

On the Golf course, the orchids were interspersed with yellow Lady's Bedstraw (Galium verum).

Lady's bedstraw with Fragrant Orchids at the front and a Greater Butterfly Orchid at the back.

Orchids - left to right -  Small-white, Fragrant and Greater Butterfly

Whilst I was away, my row of Chard had started to bolt and needed picking.  I know it as "Silver beet" which is the name I learnt for it when I lived in New Zealand.  I am not a great fan of it, but the packet of seed said it was beetroot so I was a bit surprised when it came up as chard!  Anyway, when I picked it I found 2 spiders amongst the foliage. One was quite striking as it had two red stripes on its abdomen. I put each one in a small container and tried to take a decent picture - not very successfully I'm afraid.  The bright red stripes don't look very vivid in the photo, though its reflection in the container wall looks very scary!

The second spider looked very different but turned out to be the same species.

I think they are both Candy striped spiders (Enoplognatha ovata) which comes in three colour forms.  The red striped one is called the redimita morph and the greenish one is called the lineata morph.  There is a third pattern which I have not seen yet which is all red on the back.  There is lots of information here.

I read that they produce blue egg sacs, and surprisingly I found one today on my blackcurrant bush. It really is an amazing colour.


These spiders like low growing vegetation and are quite likely to be in your garden, so keep yours eyes open and you might find one.

Update - found another one today on the blackcurrants so took a better photo in the sunshine.

No comments: